Blog Post 6: Oral History

I interviewed retired NYPD Detective Mollie-Ann Gustine. She recently turned 90 years old in February. Given her position, she remained at the frontlines for many social and political movements. Since she is 90 she remains in a nursing home currently so I had limited time to engage with her, so I shall sum up some things I’ve learned about this amazing woman.

Retired Detective MollieAnn Gustine served with the NYPD from 1963 to 1983. Being an African-American woman at this time, she faced much adversity. She marched beside Malcolm X, became the first African-American woman to become a Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) delegate, and she was gunned down in Queens in the 80s by three teens who attempted to rob her. She fired back after being shot in the chest and arm and of course, she survived the injuries.

Though it isn’t much information about her life in the 60s, she is nonetheless a hero and was only recently commemorated for her work with the NYPD.

4/4/20 UPDATE

It is with a heavy heart that I am announcing the passing of Ms. Mollie. She passed away last night (4/3/20) from coronavirus (COVID-19) complications.