Material Feminism – Blog Post 12

It is my understanding that material feminism is a branch of feminism that takes a more diverse approach to fighting against social injustices faced by women. This is accomplished by shedding light on how gender and sexuality intersect in society with capitalism and patriarchy. Each day human beings continue to prove more and more how money/status is more important than basic humanity in our society thus creating discourse within the world. This behavior allows for the way in which society values the rights of women as compared to those of men. These societal binaries often make it hard for women to exercise (or gain) the same rights and economic success as males. That is where material feminism comes in. To shed light on these injustices faced by the women within capitalist and patriarchal societies dominated by males. There is a clear imbalance of opportunity for those who are of non-privileged race and or gender and material feminist look to achieve social change. They want to pinpoint why these afflicted classes are unable to succeed in the same ways that privileged classes can so easily & figure out what exactly needs to be altered within the current capitalistic society.

1 Reply to “Material Feminism – Blog Post 12”

1. I like how you mentioned “injustices faced by the women within capitalist and patriarchal societies dominated by males” for material feminism which I didn’t think of in my response. As far reading your response and the reading literary I found that Materialist feminism highlights capitalism and patriarchy as central in understanding women’s oppression.