Blog Post 14: Conclusion

Overall, I really enjoyed this course. The three posts that had the most impact on me were the oral history, disidentifications, and (although it wasn’t technically a blog post) the presentation I did on riot grrrls. For the oral history, it was really meaningful for me to sit down and talk with my dad about what he was up to at my age, as I’ve always felt like we’re very similar. It made me feel closer to my family and let me see my dad in a new way by hearing stories about his life I had never known before. As for disidentifications, I really liked reading about it because I had never had a word to put to that feeling before. I’ve definitely felt out of place in many areas of my life before, and I definitely want to go back and reread that to digest it more in its entiriety. Finally, I loved learning about the riot grrrl movement. I really love that type of music, and feel really inspired by women in music in general. At concerts for one of my favorite bands, they always have the girls come to the front to mosh safely during the last song, and I had no idea that that originated from riot grrrl, so that was super cool to learn about. I also love making zines and think it’s such a good way to express yourself. I really want to do more research on the movement because I think it is so inspiring.

Overall, I loved this course and wish that the whole corona situation hadn’t happened so I could devote more energy to it. Women and gender studies is a topic that is really interesting to me and something I think about a lot; I’m glad that I now have all these readings and really hope to look at them more over the next few months. Thank you all for a really great semester!!

1 Reply to “Blog Post 14: Conclusion”