Blog Post 9: Disidentification

Munoz states that, “Disidentification is a strategy of resistance and survival for minority subjects such as queers of color”. By this definition, Munoz not only suggests a level of bravery to disidentify, but also that to disidentify, is to step outside the box given to your “label” and have an awareness of it. To disidentify with something means to not associate with something. A time I disidentified with something was when I first moved to a different area of Queens. Most of my life, I have lived in Jackson Heights, an area I am really proud to be from and associate with. A few years ago my family and I moved to a different area in Queens and for a really long time I was not happy with it because I was unfamiliar with the area and didn’t wanna associate with it because it did not feel like home. The area we moved to is not as lively, creative or diverse so I was not as proud of it. I would still travel to Jackson Heights everyday, I even did not tell a lot of people I moved. I eventually got comfortable with the move and eventually adapted, but for a really long time I disidentified with my new area.

Advaita - Nonoduality: INQUIRY - Contemplative questioning to ...