Independent Study: Annotated Bibliography

• Dixon, Marlene. “Wages for Housework and Strategies of Revolutionary Fantasy.” Synthesis, vol. 1, no. 4, 1977, pp. 12–17. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/43783331.
    This source explains how feminist fought for equality. Not only equality in society, but also equality at home. This provides more information for the basis of my topic. Great reasoning on why this cause was important to women and the steps they took to bring about awareness.
  • Knight, Sophie. “My Husband Paid Me to Do Housework.” The Atlantic, Atlantic Media Company, 25 Sept. 2019, www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2019/09/pay-women-housework/598729/.
    In this article, a wife sends her husband invoices for the work housework she completes. She knows it sounds absurd for a husband to pay his wife for housework, but she believes work is work. It relates to my topic because it gives a real life example of the situation. I have heard of movements demanding this just to make a point, but this article actually poses the situation, literally. This offers great insight for my project.
  • Moran, Porcshe N., et al. “Wages for Housework.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 2014, www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/09/09/wages-for-housework/taking-unpaid-housework-for-granted-is-wrong.
    I really like this source because it is not so one-sided. It is a debate between both men and women on the topic. Some agree that wages should be put in place for housework, but others disagree. Those who oppose it, say that putting monetary value on housework turns a marriage into employer-employee relations. I never thought about it like that, so it offers some fresh insight to my project.
  • Rampton, Martha. “Four Waves of Feminism.” Pacific University, Pacific University, 21 Nov. 2019, www.pacificu.edu/magazine/four-waves-feminism.
    This article explains the four waves of feminism and the important ideologies and events that took place. I believe this will strengthen my project because it tells when the wages against housework movement started and what wave it was established. But it also serves as a contrast as to why it came about when it did. This source will also offer my project more clarification and understanding.
  • “Wages Against Housework.” Wages against Housework, by Silvia Federici, Falling Wall Press, 1975, pp. 2–8.
    Here, Federici demands wages for housework to prove a point. I don’t think she means it literally. But she tries to prove that housework is work. Women have the responsibilities of a companion, cook, babysitter, cleaner and more. All of these positions are jobs that demand wages. Just like anyone in the workforce who performs these tasks, women should be looked at on the same level.This book is the core of my project. Her ideologies are very interesting to me. It provides logic and evidence to my project and might make it even more persuasive.
Love's Labor Earned | Dissent Magazine