Blog Post #10

“Feminism’s agenda is basic: It asks that women not be forced to “choose” between public justice and private happiness. It asks that women be free to define them-selves—instead of having their identity defined for them, time and again, by their culture and their men.” (Faludi)

Culture wars are usually defined as the fight for dominance in values, beliefs, practices etc in all different kinds of social groups. When it comes to feminism, as written by Faludi, it is the fight against being forced to choose between public justice and private happiness. In my mind, this is referring to the idea that women have to comply by certain societal rules and standards which can very easily impact their happiness in the everyday life. It is referring to the very simple ideology that as a human, as a women, we should be respected enough to be accepted as our own individuals with our own independent thoughts, decisions, ideas, and appeals.

1 Reply to “Blog Post #10”

1. Yes, I agree that culture war is the conflict between how fair-minded rules is being show up in every aspects values, social groups etc. Also, the point you said that ‘women are not forced to’ which match with my ideas and this really supports what culture war is determine as.