What is Feminism? By Ramy Mohamed

According to Encyclopedia Britannica, “Feminism is the belief in social, economic, and political equality of the sexes. Although largely originating in the West, feminism is manifested worldwide and is represented by various institutions committed to activity on behalf of women’s rights and interests.” I agree with this definition of feminism because I believe that women should be equal socially, economically, and politically to men. I really like this definition I found in the article Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay stating, “I believe in equal opportunities for women and men. I believe in women having reproductive freedom and affordable and unfettered access to the health care they need. I believe women should be paid as much as men for doing the same work.” I will be focusing on women’s suffrage for my project because of how important it is. Women being able to vote is extremely important since politics allow us to shape/change the social and the economic aspects of society. I believe I will focus primarily on first wave: suffrage. Since the pioneers of feminism had to be especially brave to tackle this civil right.