Blog Post 2: Feminism

One definition of feminism according to Merriam-Webster’s online dictionary is “organized activity on behalf of women’s rights and interests”. I agree with this definition more than the definition of having equality for both sexes. I do not believe that ‘equality’ is truly attainable for everyone depending on their life situation. Also, women and men may not always share the same concerns, as they experience life differently.

Feminism begins with changing the way women are viewed by majority of societies. The traditional narrative of a woman only existing to act as a mother and care-taker places limits on her abilities. When a woman is viewed in this way, patriarchal societies have the attitude that it is not necessary for a woman to have certain rights, because she will never fill a dominant role. Her fate will be contributing to motherly duties. This gives to the notion that a woman does not possess important ideas or opinions that will benefit society. It is difficult to change this perception of women in certain societies based on culture, religion, etc. Aside from this traditional narrative, feminism should focus on the experiences and oppression faced by women of all backgrounds. One of the issues it should tackle is ensuring paid maternity leave for women in the workforce. Another issue it should tackle as brought up by Rebecca Solnit is the seriousness of assaults such as rape, domestic violence, and sexual harassment. If I had a feminist project, I would create a program that empowers and serves as a safe space for teenage girls. They would be guided on personal topics such as how they should be treated in a relationship, sexual health, etc.