Blog Post 3: A Different Future

In an ‘ideal world’ in which feminism and anti-racist activism has succeeded, hopefully most of the population would have a better mindset. Societies would instill better ideals, beliefs, and values. Women could assert that their role in life is not limited to motherhood or being a care-taker. A woman’s value would not be based on living up to the standard of being a “perfect” wife and/or mother. Instead of being pressured to get married off young and have children, girls could explore their passions. Women and minorities would take on more leadership positions at jobs and get significantly better pay. Using women for sex, cheating on women, and abusing women (physically and emotionally) would become less glamorized in pop culture. These actions would not be seen as tokens of manhood. Also, the words of a woman would also be taken more earnestly. For example, women’s concerns about their health would be taken more seriously within the field of healthcare. Doctors would not dismiss them as being overly-dramatic or ‘crazy’.

Within this ‘ideal world’ my lifestyle would be slightly different. From a young age, girls are taught to always keep their ‘guard up’ and stay alert around men they do not know from the fear of being attacked. As a petite woman, I would not have to be in a constant state of anxiety when commuting to/from work and/or school. Also, during warm seasons, I could wear more ‘revealing’ clothing such as shorts and dresses without being sexually harassed and catcalled by strangers on the street. When scrolling through social media pages, I would not have to see so many derogatory posts and comments about women-especially black women. When entering a beauty supply store, I would not be followed around while browsing because its assumed based on my skin complexion that I am a thief. The state of my life would be much more peaceful.